July 25, 2007

The Stranger

As narrated by Soham Bandyopadhyay
She was getting engaged
And all I could do was stand by and applaud along with all. I didn't dare open my mouth for fear of saying something stupid. Something like "I LOVE YOU"

I remembered the other day when she had come to with red eyes. Her "best friend" was going away. It has never mattered to me that her best friend was a guy. I thought I was above such things. But then her tears awoke the sin of jealousy in my heart. Fighting it, I had consoled her and gave her chocolates to eat. She proceeded to rest her head in the crook of my arm. And promptly fell asleep. I chuckled at her baby - like innocence. But now, as I applaud, I felt something stabbing my heart.

She was getting married
I saw her come down the stairs decked out in her bridal finery. Never has I seen her looking this pretty. I saw her taking the seven rounds around the sacred fire with the man I had come to hate, holding his hand. I saw her engaging garlands with him.

She was a total stranger to me now.
I was standing near the car when they came over to me. I wondered what they wanted. I wondered what to sat. Farewell to the departed.

Nevertheless, as my daughter and son-in-law touched my feet, I blessed them. She was openly crying. I told her not to worry. That I'll be here. She responded by hugging me. And I could not stop tears anymore.



No comments: