October 21, 2006

Crimson Tide

I watched the movie Crimson Tide. I liked it…

A couple of dialogue exchanges, which I liked, are given below
Ramsey: “War is a continuation of politics by other means” - Von Clausewitz
Hunter: I think what he was trying to say was that… the purpose of war is to serve a political end, but the true nature of war is to serve itself
Ramsey: I'm very impressed. In other words the sailor who is most likely to win the war is the one most willing to part company with the politicians and ignore everything except the destruction of the enemy. Uh... you'd agree with that?
Hunter: Well, I'd agree that… that's what Clausewitz was trying to say.
Ramsey: But you wouldn’t agree with it?
Hunter: No sir, I do not. I just think that in the nuclear world, the true enemy can't be destroyed.
Ramsey: Attention on deck. Von Clausewitz will now tell us exactly who the real enemy is. Von?
Hunter: In my humble opinion, in the nuclear world, the true enemy is war itself.
Note down the last dialogue of Hunter. Reminds me of Plato - "Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

There is another dialogue that Captain Ramsey delivers.

Ramsey: We are here to preserve democracy. Not to practice it.
It just shows the importance of discipline and maintaining the chain of order to win a war.

This one on horses and high school girls is quite cool.
Ramsey: Horses are very fascinating animals. Dumb as fence posts but very intuitive. In that way they are not too different from high school girls. They might not have a brain in their head, but they do know all the boys want to fuck them.

Captain Ramsey’s speech to pep up the crew just before they board USS Alabama is awesome. That’s what I call an inspiring speech



Talking about speeches, my fav one is the one delivered by Mr. President in the movie Independence Day



There are other speeches that I love, like those in the movie Main Azaad Hoon. I guess "famous speeches" is altogether a different topic, which I should cover in a separate blog.

No comments: