September 02, 2007

Ignorance of a Friend??

I was browsing the Moserbear DVD rack in Planet-M. I had dropped in Planet-M to give my friend a company. I thought to make use of the opportunity to add some good DVDs to my movie collection.

I was checking the Malayalm movies when my friend came to me and said: "Oh no! Not mallu movies." She is from North. I didn't understand what she meant. Her tune was definitely that of dissapproval. But did it have the faint touch of contempt? I didn't know! I didn't know what to say! I didn't understand why she said "Oh no!". How would you react to someone who comes to you and says "Oh no!" when you are checking a Satyajit Ray DVD or a Hitchcock DVD?

Perplexed on what made her say "Oh no!", I decided to play the incident down and said: "Have you heard the name Padmarajan. His scripts are classics."

What do you think? Why did she say "Oh no!". Was it ignorance speeking? Was it prejudice? It better not be the latter.


No comments: